Dangerous Sex, Invisible Labor: Sex Work and the Law in India
Princeton University Press (simultaneous release in paperback and hardback August 2011; co-published by Oxford University Press, India November 2011)
Winner of the SLSA-Hart Book Prize for Early Career Academics
Women Unlimited, New Delhi, India, for Series on Issues in Contemporary Indian Feminism; Series Editor, Rajeswari Sunder Rajan. (2011)
- (2013) “Law, Sex Work and Activism in India” In Handbook on Gender in South Asia, edited by Leela Fernandes. Oxon and New York: Routledge, pp. 84-96.
- (2011) “Introduction.” In Reader on Sex Work, edited by Prabha Kotiswaran. New Delhi, India: Women Unlimited, pp. xi-lxii
(2007) “Wives and Whores: Prospects for a Feminist Theory of Redistribution” In Sexuality and the Law: Feminist Engagements, edited by Vanessa E. Munro and Carl F. Stychin. Oxon, New York: Routledge-Cavendish, pp. 283-302.
- (2007) “Wives and Whores: The Regulation of the Economies in Sexual Labour.” In Redefining Family Law in India Essays in Honour of B. Sivaramayya, edited by Archana Parashar and Amita Dhanda. New Delhi, India: Routledge, pp. 28-53.
- Kotiswaran, P. (2014). Beyond the Allures of Criminalization: Rethinking the Regulation of Sex Work in India. Special Issue of Criminology and Criminal Justice titled “The Governance of Commercial Sex: Global Trends of Criminalisation, Punitive Enforcement, Protection and Rights”Teela Sanders and Rosie Campbell (ed.). 14(5), 565-579.
- Kotiswaran, P. (2014). Sword or Shield?” The Role of the Law in the Indian Sex Workers’ Movement. Special Issue “Emergent Sexual Formations in Contemporary India”, Stephen Legg and Srila Roy (ed.), Interventions International Journal of Postcolonial Studies. 15(4), 530-548.
- Kotiswaran, P. (2008). Born Unto Brothels: Toward a Legal Ethnography of Sex Work in an Indian Red-Light Area. Law & Social Inquiry. 33(3) 579-629.
- Kotiswaran, P. (2001). Preparing for Civil Disobedience: Indian Sex Workers and the Law. Boston College Third World Law Journal. 21(2), 161-241.